by Deb Ng
I have a confession to make. Every day I search Twitter to find folks who are asking questions about BlogTalkRadio. There are a couple each day, who are thinking about using our service, but not sure how it works. In fact, when I go to conferences or online networks, I’m often approached by people would love to host an online radio show but aren’t sure how. Moreover, they think it’s too technical for their range of expertise. They couldn’t be me wrong.
I’m here to tell you hosting your own BlogTalkRadio show is simple, free, and fun. So, if you ever wondered how to start your own BlogTalkRadio show, here’s everything you need to know:
1. Sign up for a host account – At the top of our home page is a link that says “Start your own free talk show”. Click this link and a form will magically appear in front of your eyes. Fill out the check off the appropriate boxes, and you’re good to go. Really that’s it. You could actually start your show 15 or 20 minutes after logging in, but we recommend you take some time to look around and learn a bit about how things work and how to make your show a success.
2. Check Out the BlogTalkRadio Learning Center: Our learning center offers a wealth of information for hosts of all levels. Read our FAQs, listen in to BlogTalkRadio 101, peek at our rev. share opportunities and more – and don’t forget to meet other hosts and listeners in the BlogTalkRadio forum. When you’re sure you know enough about using BlogTalkRadio, it’s time to move on to the next step.
3. Schedule Your Show – After you log in, there’s a link at the top of the homepage that says “My BlogTalkRadio”. This houses everything you need to start your own BlogTalkRadio show. At the top of this page is another “My BlogTalkRadio” heading. Under that you’ll see a link to add/or edit your own show. Once you schedule your show, all you technically need to do is call in and host.
4. Fill Out Your Show Description Page – Don’t over look this small but important feature. Your show description serves more than one purpose. Not only does it tell folks what’s going on for each particular segment, but, if worded correctly, it has the ability to reach the search engines and rock the long tail.
5. Congratulations! You’re Ready to Host Your Own BlogTalkRadio Show! – Once you have all the necessary information filled out, you’re ready to start your own BlogTalkRadio show. You may want to schedule a short test show first, just to make sure everything’s working and there are no technical issues. Use your host number to call in to talk to the masses, and the guest number is for your listeners and guests to call in. You’ll be able to see these callers on your switchboard. And don’t forget to launch the chat room! Folks love to interact while a show is in progress.
If you find you’re a little confused or things don’t appear to be going well feel free to contact me at deborahng(at)blogtalkradio(dot)com, or one of the host services team at service(at)blogtalkradio(dot)com.
Good luck and enjoy your BlogTalkRadio experience.