We surveyed 200 hosts that are generating the most listens on the network to find out how they’re marketing their shows. We’re passing these tips on to you in case you are looking for proven techniques for increasing your listener base for your podcast.
Here are the top 10 tips we received from our hosts:
- Social Media Marketing is key! Almost 100% of the hosts surveyed are using Facebook, Twitter and more to market their shows.
- Develop a regular email newsletter. This can be an ideal vehicle to promote your show.
- Take advantage of the BTR Portable Player, post it to your blog, website and social networking profiles.
- Always create a unique, SEO-optimized show description. (Don’t use the same description for every episode.)
- Encourage word of mouth. Ask your friends, colleagues, family and current listeners to help you spread the word about your show.
- Participate in online forums, groups, message boards, and communities where people who might be interested in your show congregate.
- Put out press releases regarding your top shows.
- If you don’t already have one, start a blog and write about topics that are complementary to your show. This can provide another great online platform for promoting your show.
- Connect with other hosts within the BTR host community. There are a lot of experienced hosts out there that are open to sharing their best practices with others.
- Make guest appearances on other BTR shows.
Be sure to follow BlogTalkRadio University program Marketing Club and listen to archived episodes for more marketing tips.