2007 was the year BlogTalkRadio became a new medium. It was an exceptional year for us. Listenership steadily increased, we relaunched the site with new features, thousands of hosts continued to sign up and bring on top notch guests and the buzz is building. We ended the year with a bang and an inspiring Reuters article that spread like wildfire.
Is BlogTalkRadio a new medium? I say undoubtedly yes!! In fact, not only has BlogTalkRadio proven to be an effective new medium smack center in the world of blogging, podcasting, broadcasting and social media, I would argue that BlogTalkRadio is the fastest growing creator of original content anywhere; on the web or off. I know that’s a pretty bold statement for a website only 16 months old and barely noticed by the blogger “intelligentsia” in Silicon Valley and elsewhere, except Robert Scoble, who has been a friend.
Please consider the following:
- Since inception we have produced over 46,000 broadcasts all of which are maintained in our program guides and available for consumption. We produced 6,600 shows in December 2007 and yesterday January 10th, 315 shows were broadcast live.
- In December 2007, 2 million shows were listened to either live or on demand. Our content is available on our site, on our hosts blogs, all over myspace and Facebook, and throughout the web. We have also begun to syndicate our content to Reciva, podcast directories like Podcast.com and many others. We expect to syndicate much of our content to terrestrial radio stations throughout the country in 2008.
- The content that comes into the network continues to amaze me. Just before the new year Brad Pitt, Arianna Huffington and Mike Huckabee appeared on BlogTalkRadio. This week alone, Yoko Ono, Jon Voight, Steve Forbes just to name a few. Please keep in mind that we do not have a booking department. All of the notable guests that have graced this network have been introduced by our thousands of active citizen broadcasters. Here is a list of notable guests who have appeared on BlogTalkRadio.
- We are approaching 200,000 daily RSS feeds a day hitting our site, pulling blog posts and audio files. This number has quadrupled since we launched our redesigned site at the end of September.
- There is no easier platform or technology on the web which can be used to create audio content where the publisher can use any type of phone, which is broadcast live, can accommodate unlimited listeners and archivable.
- As noted in a recent article in publishers weekly, we are creating “stations” and other private label solutions for major companies such as publishers, on-line communities, media companies, etc.
Last night as I was surfing the web, I came across a post by Heather Hobson at Trendhunter Magazine, which was entitled “Rebirth of Radio.” I enjoy seeing blog posts that recognize the power of and help spread the word about this truly special medium.
Finally, I want to thank our thousands of hosts and millions of listeners for helping to build BlogTalkRadio into what it is today. In 2006 we pieced together three words and created BlogTalkRadio. In 2007, BlogTalkRadio became a viable medium. Any guesses what 2008 will bring? Please let me know your thoughts.