by Deb Ng
I wonder how many of us consider the tone we’re setting when we do our shows or visit other chatrooms or the forum. Sometimes we get swept away in the passion of a good rant we forget how others see us. Consider this: new listeners log on to BlogTalkRadio each day. It only takes a few visits to negative chat rooms or negative talk shows to turn them off to the experience completely. This means you lost a potential listener. A listener who can bring in other listeners if he (or she) likes what he hears.
Something else to consider – if someone is to visit a chatroom and forum and the only thing that’s going on is name calling, complaining, or BTR bashing, what will that person think? Maybe it means he or she will decide not to visit your show anymore or become turned off to BlogTalkRadio altogether.
There are ways of discussing topics, even delicate topics, while keeping a light, positive tone. There are also ways to disagree with people without resorting to name calling, harrassment, and all around pettiness.
Here are a few best practices:
- Keep a positive tone. No one enjoys being around a chronic malcontent.
- Be respectful of the host as well as the community. Keep negativity out of the chat rooms and forums.
- Don’t spam. We know everyone enjoys talking about their shows, but many hosts get irritated when you spam the forums and only talk about your shows.
- Try and stay on topic: When visiting other chat rooms, try and keep on topic unless the chat naturally progresses off topic.
- It’s fine to disagree, just do so respectfully. There are ways to get your point across without name calling or sniping.
We know your goal is to produce the best show possible and also to bring in lots of listeners and fans. We’re here to help in any way possible. Keep the tone positive and the community will follow!