Lets talk about marketing your show. Here are a few ways you can get the word out about your BlogTalkRadio show and making it as successful as you can without spending a dime on advertising.
1. If you have a blog, myspace page, website etc, those places are great places to put your BlogTalkRadio buttons and player. I suggest that if you have a blog, create a Myspace page as well. If you are just on Myspace, you need to realize that there is a huge audience not in Myspace but out there in the blogosphere, such as Blogger, Word Press, etc. If you have a blog or website, create a myspace page and come network with our friends on the BlogTalkRadio page, (www.myspace.com/blogtalkradio) you will see your number of listeners grow every week by doing this.
2. Other social networking sites are also valuable. MyBlogLog and Stumble Upon will allow you to network with other people in the blogoshere with just a click of the mouse. Every time you visit someone’s page on one of these sites you leave your avatar behind for them to come see who you are. It’s an incredibly efficient way to network on the web. These two websites also allow you to visit other blogs and websites you may have interest in.
3. Here some tips on how you can promote your show on Blogtalkradio.
a. The Promote and Send Invite section of your dashboard. Sending invitations to your shows via email to your friends and family just prior to it happening is very effective.
b. Those BlogTalkRadio Buttons. You can stick html code into a bulletin on myspace and get your upcoming show out to a large number of people with just one bulletin. I suggest you send the bulletins just prior to your show and a few minutes into your show. These bulletins have also proven to be very effective.
c. The embedded media player. The new flash player that we have designed will allow you to put your show directly onto your blog, website, myspace page, or all of the above. People can come to your site and listen to your last archived show without ever having to leave your page.
4. ITunes. Rather than a simple podcast, these shows are live events. However, after the shows air live; they are automatically saved as podcasts and made available to Itunes, Yahoo and other RSS feeders. You can register as a host in Itunes. As a registered host in Itunes, your show name will appear in the Itunes podcast directory. As a listener, you can subscribe to your favorite host channel by clicking the RSS button on the page (blue button). When you subscribe via RSS, all of the hosts shows will automatically download to the Itunes platform.
5. Word of mouth marketing (WOMM). We all know that word of mouth advertising is the most effective marketing tool out there. If you are looking for a plumber or electrician you will almost always refer to a friend or family member for who they have used, that is word of mouth marketing. The same holds true with BlogTalkRadio, I have talked to some hosts and here are some of the ways they have marketed there show.
a. They talk about their show to friends, co workers, and family members, getting them to tune in and spread the word.
b. I’ve heard some hosts have added their show to their business cards. You can even print up cards right on your own computer.
c. Having your network of friends on the internet also use your buttons or flash player for your show. Your friends and colleagues can blog about your show as well.
d. Signature line on your email – adding a link to your show in the signature line of your email will allow everyone you send an email to link back to your show.
6. Creating shows with other hosts. This would create a combined effort between people with similar topics to merge audiences and broaden your reach. If you see other hosts with similar topics, gather a few of these hosts and create a “Special Presentation” or “Roundtable” type of show. We are willing to help with these types of shows as we can organize and get people together for you if you so desire.
7. Show consistency. This is very important. Sticking to a schedule and always having an outline for a show is good. Also having a co-host or special guest, keeps your show interesting and fun. People love to be involved, so get your friends or family to call in and participate, or seek out guests to talk about certain subjects. This is the best way to keep your show fun and consistent and attract the largest number of listeners.
8. Last but not least, do not be afraid to ask for help. We at BlogTalkRadio are always here if you have any questions or just need some guidance. We have had many brain storming sessions with hosts giving them idea’s for their shows. Also, reach out to others ahosts and listen and participate in their shows We are building a community here and each of you make up this community. Our hosts are very friendly and from my experience, love to talk about how they have made their show a success.
These are just some ideas to think about as you begin to market your Blogtalkradio show. As the weeks go by, you will begin to see your numbers grow and your message will he heard by thousands of people.
You have all heard the expression “What you put in is what you get out”, this holds true in every thing we do, including a show on BlogTalkRadio.
That my friends, you can take to the bank.